Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Naturalist really is a better term than atheist or agnostic.

That is if I had to be labeled something when it comes to my view of the universe.



As a person who can only observe what we see, and what we see and experience is what we know. The natural world is what we can observe and what surrounds us, what we are part of and we are ,by extension, just "a cog in the machine". The simple truth is we cannot exist seperate from it and it is silly to assume otherwise. What reason is there to think otherwise? It is silly to believe in a supernatural world and to believe so needlessly complicates things. The natural world is all that exists. So I suppose if I had to, I consider myself a naturalist.



So you ask, "What about God?"



"What about god?" I ask back.



You pause a second and rephrase your question, "Why don't you believe in God?"



"Why should I?" I reply



"How do you explain," you put your hand out, "ALL THIS?"



"How do I explain all this?" I ask rhetorically.



"YES!" You demand to know!



"Well, I suppose in bits and pieces as we study and observe it. To the best of our ability!"



"What about God?" you ask again.



"God?" I reply, "The question of God is reletively insignificant."



"WHAT!?!" You scoff.



"A God that exists outside the universe, the Gods of the many different religions of today aren't literally real. maybe figuratively."



"OK, Smarty pants!" You say, "Then you're saying god exists within the universe? That God is The Universe?"



"Well, not really. The universe is the universe. I wouldn't want to attribute any personality to it."



"So what are you saying then?"



"I'm saying the question of God is insignificant."



"So you're saying MAYBE there is a God?" you say hopefully.



"I'm saying it doesn't make any difference."



"So where did the universe come from?"



"How the hell should I know?"



"So are you an atheist or an agnostic?" You demand to know!



"Ugh. I really do hate those terms. I suppose you could call me a naturalist if you insist on calling me something."



"What about God?" You ask one more time.



"There is no question of God for me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home